Executive Director of NECTEC appointed to the position of ASEAN SCMIT Chairman during 2018-2020
Dr.Sarun Sumriddetchkajorn, Executive Director of National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC), took over the position of Chairman of the ASEAN Sub-Committee on Microelectronics and Information Technology (SCMIT). The tenure of the Chairmanship is three years, 2018-2020.
The 47th Meeting of the ASEAN Sub-Committee on Microelectronics and Information Technology (SCMIT-47) was convened during 8-9 May 2018 in Chiang Mai, Thailand, chaired by Dr.Sarun Sumriddetchkajorn, Executive Director of NECTEC. The SCMIT-47 Meeting was attended by delegates from 8 ASEAN Member States (AMS) which were :
- Universiti Teknologi Brunei (UTB), Brunei Darussalam
- Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI), Indonesia
- Universiti Teknologi Malaysia (UTM), Malaysia
- Department of Digital and Information Technology, Lao PDR
- Advanced Science and Technology Institute (ASTI), The Philippines
- Nanyang Technological University (NTU), Singapore
- National Electronics and Computer Technology Center (NECTEC), Thailand
- National Institute of Information Technology, Vietnam Academy of Science and Technology (VAST), Vietnam.
The Meeting noted the status of SCMIT projects and initiatives. Especially, the Meeting noted the updates activities of "Real-time Monitoring Based on Wireless Sensor Networks for Landslide Prone Areas Project" proposed by NECTEC and funded by ASEAN STI Fund (ASTIF). Furthermore, the Meeting reviewed and revised the SCMIT Work Plan 2016-2025 in the following areas:
- Multimedia and Mobile Communication Applications
- Internet of Things
- Big Data Processing and Analytics
- Cyber Security
- Embedded Systems and Sensors
- Robotics and Automation
- Open Platforms
- Cloud Computing
- Artificial Intelligence
Chairman of SCMIT also reported the result of SCMIT-47 to the 74th Meeting of the ASEAN Committee on Science and Technology (COST-74) which was held during 10-11 May, 2018 in Chiang Mai, Thailand. The Meeting was held in the traditional spirit of ASEAN cordiality and solidarity. Active discussions among the members produced significant decisions from the Meeting.